Principles of Art Therapy Certificate
Crawford College of Art & Design Award delivered by CTC
Dublin October 2013 – May 2014
The Principles of Art Therapy Certificate (formerly Art Therapy Foundation Course) is a HETAC Level 8 (10 credits) certificate comprising of two 5 credit assessed modules. This course provides an opportunity to explore Art Therapy within a group setting. Each weekend students will participate in experiential workshops with qualified arts therapists. A variety of approaches to the process of Art Therapy will be introduced through workshops, lectures and seminars.
For many this certificate course may be a step towards training as a qualified Art Therapist or Play Therapist; for others it may contribute to continuing professional development and serve as an introduction to a more sympathetic understanding of the role of the arts in rehabilitation and development work.
- During the course each weekend is themed around a key principle of the art therapy process. Lectures will be delivered exploring how the process can work in a range of contexts, and with clients of various ages, from Psychiatry, Probation, Pallative Care, Education, to Learning Disabilities. Topics vary from year to year.
- Experiential workshops, facilitated by qualified, registered arts therapists, will provide participants with experience of a range of different approaches to facilitating a group; directive, theme-based, non-directive, etc.
- Seminars offer opportunities to ask questions and discuss ideas with visiting and course tutors.
- Participants are required to complete a couple of written assignments and keep a personal journal throughout the course.
- A HETAC level 8 Principles of Art Therapy Certificate is awarded on completion of the course.
The experiential nature of this course can be emotionally and psychologically challenging. The candidate’s previous life experiences will be explored at interview with this in mind. Applicants should be aware of this. Any concerns can be addressed at interview.
The course runs one weekend per month from October to May, Friday night from 7.30 – 9pm, and Saturday from 9.30 – 5.30. Training dates for 2013 – 2014 are: 18th – 19th October, 15th – 16th November, 6th – 7th December, 24th – 25th January, 14th – 15th February, 21st – 22nd March, 25th – 26th April and 23rd – 24th May
Friday 7.30pm – 9pm: Lecture
Saturday 9.30 – 12.00: Experiential Workshop 1
12.00 – 1pm: Lunch
1pm – 3.30pm: Experiential Workshop 2
3.30 – 4pm: Tidy up and Tea/Coffee Break
4pm – 5.30pm: Seminar, Feedback, Reflections
The cost is €1450 including registration and exam fees. The training venue is The Haven Adult Education Centre, Basin Lane, Basin Street, Dublin 8.
It is recommended that applicants have a level 7 award, or prior experience in community education, art, health or social sector work (including counselling and/or psychotherapy). Those with no formal qualifications or art experience will also be considered
E-Mail: email@example.com or Claire.firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone 087 6488149 or 087 2055616