Counsellors for the National Telephone Counselling Service for Crisis Pregnancy | October 2018
One Family is recruiting enthusiastic, experienced, professionally accredited counsellors for the new National Telephone Counselling Service for Crisis Pregnancy which we will deliver on behalf of the HSE Sexual Health and Crisis Pregnancy Programme. This is a new innovative service designed to support women and their families through the issues associated with crisis pregnancy across Ireland. The National Telephone Counselling Service will be provided in the context of abortion services being available in Ireland from 2019.
If you are an enthusiastic, committed and experienced professional counsellor who is committed to women’s sexual and reproductive health and who would like to work in a progressive, supportive voluntary sector organisation – you may wish to consider this post.
One Family is Ireland’s organisation for people parenting alone, sharing parenting and separating families – see www.onefamily.ie for full information. We have been providing non-directive counselling services to women and their families who experience unplanned or crisis pregnancies for several decades.
The National Telephone Counselling Service for Crisis Pregnancy will provide the following:
- Counselling for those experiencing a crisis pregnancy
- Post-abortion counselling
- Information on all options, including parenting, abortion, and adoption
- Signposting and referrals to other relevant, professional services.
Candidates need to:
- Have a minimum of 5 years proven counselling experience post accreditation
- Have a relevant counselling/ psychotherapy qualification
- Be an accredited member of IACP, IAHIP or another professional body
- Have experience of working in a team
- Have a client-focused perspective
- Be enthusiastic and motivated
- Be well organised with good attention to detail
- Have good ICT skills.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience in telephone counselling, online counselling or helpline work
- Have experience of crisis pregnancy counselling
- Have experience of information provision.
Counsellor role and responsibilities:
- To deliver unplanned/crisis pregnancy counselling
- To provide information on all options relevant to the caller’s needs including information on parenting, abortion, or adoption
- To deliver post-abortion counselling
- Maintain all quality/professional standards and codes of practice
- Attend relevant internal and external supervisions and trainings
- Maintain all relevant administration, monitoring information and data
- Follow all policies, procedures, protocols, and guidelines
- To contribute to evaluations, policy, reports, funding applications etc as requested
- To be line managed by the National Telephone Counselling Manager and take direction where appropriate on issues relating to clients
- To maintain the high professional and ethical standard in the provision of care to clients.
This is an out of hours and weekend service. The shift times will be of 4 hours duration from 5-9pm Tuesday to Friday and on Monday and Saturday mornings. These part-time positions will be for 4-5 shifts per week; additional hours of work may be needed so flexibility will be required.
The service will be located in Dublin 7. The full time (35 hour week) salary scale is €39,311 – €42,799 for the level of skills required; the salary offered will be pro-rata for 16-2o hours, based on skills and experience. The post will be for one year initially with the potential for continuation, subject to future funding. Benefits such as paid annual leave and extensive training will be provided.
A cover letter and CV addressing the required competencies should be sent to: Counselling Manager, One Family, 8 Coke Lane, Smithfield, Dublin 7 or by email to email@example.com.
First round interviews will be held on Thursday, 25 October 2018 and second round interviews for candidates will be on Tuesday 30 October 2018. Informal enquiries welcome.